Saturday morning i looked out the window in Lehi and the sun was starting to come out. perfect for running in. we drove down to Provo and the clouds got darker and the sun was missing. it started to rain right before they shot the cannon to get the races going. not even a mile into the race it was snowing. nice. i was super nervous for this race, 13.1 miles is a long was to go! so i am thinking i am still kind of nervous, then i realize, no, i need to go to the bathroom. they had port a pottys at 3 miles and 6 miles. at the 3 miles there was only one with two people waiting. i had Russ meet me at mile 5 to cheer me on. that was only time during the race it didn't rain. which was really nice, because the boys got to get out of the van and scream, "go mommy!" which made me really happy and got me a little choked up. at mile 6 there were 3 port a pottys with 2 people waiting. i was back on my way running in 2 minutes. after mile 10 my sister, Konda, met me. what a trooper standing in the rain with her two youngest kids in her jogging stroller. she brought me a energy bar to eat and then ran with me for about a mile. it was so nice to talk to someone for a little bit. she is so AWESOME! thanks Konda for all the encouragement! after she left me i had around 2 miles left and felt great. i had three goals for this race.
1.) not to walk. i really wanted to run the entire race. so except for stopping for the bathroom i ran the whole way.
2.) finish in under 2hrs. 30 mins.
3.) it would be great to finish in 2 hrs. 15 mins.
my finish time was 2 hrs. 18 mins.! i am so happy with my time. i felt good the whole race, well except for being freezing cold! but i guess the cold was better than over heating. i am so grateful for all my support. seriously, without Russ supporting me through all the training for this i never could have done it. and for my boys coming with me in the jogging stroller, or to the gym at the day care. really the whole family was in on this race. i just get the bragging rights!

my brother, Dusty, called and said i should run 2miles to stretch me legs out that night. i thought, you've got to be kidding, i just did 13! i did 1.5 miles. that first mile was probably one of the hardest miles i've ever ran. it was a good thing i had the jogging stroller with me, because i think it was supporting most of my weight. i knees were killing me! the last half mile i could tell my legs were actually feeling better, so that was good. Dusty isn't entirely crazy! stairs are the worst, especially going down. today i feel good. i only slightly hobble going down the stairs. guess what....i did it! i ran 13.1 miles and it feels awesome!!
1.) not to walk. i really wanted to run the entire race. so except for stopping for the bathroom i ran the whole way.
2.) finish in under 2hrs. 30 mins.
3.) it would be great to finish in 2 hrs. 15 mins.
my finish time was 2 hrs. 18 mins.! i am so happy with my time. i felt good the whole race, well except for being freezing cold! but i guess the cold was better than over heating. i am so grateful for all my support. seriously, without Russ supporting me through all the training for this i never could have done it. and for my boys coming with me in the jogging stroller, or to the gym at the day care. really the whole family was in on this race. i just get the bragging rights!

my brother, Dusty, called and said i should run 2miles to stretch me legs out that night. i thought, you've got to be kidding, i just did 13! i did 1.5 miles. that first mile was probably one of the hardest miles i've ever ran. it was a good thing i had the jogging stroller with me, because i think it was supporting most of my weight. i knees were killing me! the last half mile i could tell my legs were actually feeling better, so that was good. Dusty isn't entirely crazy! stairs are the worst, especially going down. today i feel good. i only slightly hobble going down the stairs. guess what....i did it! i ran 13.1 miles and it feels awesome!!





4 comments:
Congratulations Ashley!! What an amazing accomplishment! You must feel so good!
Way to go, Ash! That's awesome! I loved one of your previous posts about "Eye of the Tiger" That's on my running mix and everytime I hear it now, I think of you and try to pick up my speed a little bit. :) I love it when songs do that! I'm running the Bear Lake Half in June. I ran 8 on Saturday and felt good so it was a big confidence booster that maybe I can do it! I'm hoping to finish under 2:20. My 6 mile run was a 10 min. mile but my 8 mile run was a little slower, averaging a 10:45 mile with a couple big hills. I'm nervous because people have said there are some hills in this race so I've been training on hills. Eeek!
YEAH!!! I am going to call you to tell you hooray in "person" but I was so excited when I saw you posted this. Sorry it's taken me so long to call...we're still adjusting to very little sleep around here :) I'm so proud of you! Way to meet your goals too! Wish I could have done it with you...maybe next time :)
P.S. I can't believe the crazy weather for your race! But you look great in your running gear...I bet you warmed up by the end of 13.1 miles!
Post a Comment