Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Triathlon day arrived.....

some time in january a few of us had this crazy idea to do a triathlon. there ended up being 9 of us in our group. my sister, konda, and i started going swimming saturday mornings. which neither of us is sure if it helped. the swimming was my least favorite part by far! so after months of 'training' the day finally came. AND WE DID IT! it was great fun. the race was a 5k (3.1 mile) run, 10 mile bike, 350 meter swim. it is called a sprint triatholon....not that we ever really sprinted, it is just a shorter triathlon. this is what my sister wrote about it, and i liked what she said, so here is my ditto to what she said...
It was a little chilly. I think we decided it was low-mid 40s when we started out. That actually seemed warm compared to the snow we had been having two days prior. We named our team the Green M&Ms after Mary Anne who got Walking Pneumonia and was under strict doctors orders not to even think about competing. Our black tape was mourning the loss of our fallen teammate. Fortunately for us, now we have some fun pics since Mary Anne has such a cool camera and loves to use it. In the group was my sister, three sister-in-laws, and a few friends. Oh-and my mom surprised us and came up from Arizona for the big event. It was a great group. Having a group makes it even more fun, felt like a big party.
i am so proud of all of us! my sister-in-law, erin has 6 kids and arthritis in her hips, my sister konda is 36, (sorry to state your age, but i'm just so proud of you!) she has 5 kids and is pregnant with number6! sister-in-law trina just got a job teaching so that left little time for training. sister-in-law janae got home from her mission in december. sister-in-law mary anne (who couldn't actually do it on race day) trained for the whole thing, has an 8 month old baby, she would have done awesome too! friend kara also has an 8 month old baby. then their was a friend of erin's, martha, who has 3 kids, and one of konda's mission companions, janice, i don't know how many kids she has. then trina's friend, chirsty, who jumped in and took mary anne's place. we really did all have a good time. the only time i really didn't like it was the swim. my total time was 1 hour 36 mins. it was so cool of my mom to surprise us and come support us! too bad we didn't get any pictures with her....you always think of those things after. also thanks to russ and the husbands for their support with the whole thing! for anyone who is now thinking that doing a triathlon sounds fun or wow, if those girls could do one then so can i! yes you can! do one, they really are fun. but a group is a really great way to do one. happy training....

i actually did take three pictures while my mom was up. this was her last night here, reading the boys stories before bed....thanks mom, love you!

10 comments:

CK Morgan said...

If you hadn't waited for me on the run then you would have been first place out of everyone! You are so amazing! I love the collage you made.

The Mighty Miners said...

YEA WE FINISHED...thanks a whole bunch for posting our ages :) I still swear by the 29 thing but for all intent and purposes I will say that the reason I went SO SLOW was that I am just that old and not that my training three times a week on an eliptical was about the dumbest idea I've ever had...didn't help me one bit. However I thought you finished like fifteen minutes before us....so your time suprised me a little. Thank the good Lord for KONDA and her mercy on me, to bore herself with the run and drag me along. I learned several really valuable things there, one~ training on the eliptical was BAD. 2~ Goo packets can make you go from feeling tired to wanting to puke in a matter of seconds, 3~ snickers marathon bars are really dry (the picture maryanne sent of me on my bike) I was trying to figure out what to do with it cause it was so dry and so hard I could barely chew it...and with holding it in one hand and my mouth full I couldn't grab my water bottle to wash it down, I choked on it for about the first five miles, 4~ I really should of wore my board shorts to swim and 5 would be that the swim was SOOOO RELAXING after suffering through that aweful run! but over all we are done and YEAHHH!!!

The Mighty Miners said...

NEVER MIND....I thought you posted my age till I looked at it again....whew...glad I didn't :) Im still amazed though cause I just checked my time, I seriously thought you were done a good fifteen to twenty minutes before me...now I feel a little better with my time :) thanks

{Jeff+Elisa} said...

Ha ha...you make me laugh Ash! I know I am still as crazy as ever!! Wow, that's so great that ou did that Triathlon!! You have always been fit and in shape though! I wish I would have been there in the end to give you a big hug when you finished! You're cute Ash! :)

KaWheelers said...

hahaha, first of all... Erin's comment made me laugh! I completely agree with the goo thing! I wanted to puke the whole time after I took it... but it worked so...

Anyway, thanks for giving me the excuse of teaching so it gave me little time to train :) BUT what would have made it MORE accurate would just be to say I was out of shape!! haha! I can't wait for the next one... I'm definitely going to train for that more than just the week before!!

jEn paiGe said...

Hey! it looks like you had a ton of fun! I am glad your mom came up to surprise you! I am sure that made it great! Your pictures are great!

Unstoppable Lindsey said...

AMAZING! No, seriously....that is remarkable. I can't even speed-walk, let alone compete in 3...not 2, but 3 different events! That is amazing. What a high...there is nothing better...all natural high baby! Bring it on! You rock...!

Brenden+Nikki said...

wow you are seriously superwoman

Debora said...

I love it!!! You are my hero!!!! :) Way to finish! that is super exciting!!! And, yes, I still go to storytime every week. we go wednesday at 10. Dani has preschool on tuesdays.

Owner said...

That's so awesome, Ashley!! Go you, you should definitely be so proud!