Wednesday, June 4, 2008

a shot @ my ego!

this morning i took william and jonathon in for a special education/speech evaluation. let's rewind for a minute....last year my pediatrition suggested that i have the boys checked for their lack of speaking. (i'm sure they used some technical term, but that was what they ment.) i've been putting it off since then. i'm not sure why; lots of reasons i guess. they're getting better at talking and learning new words everyday. (but i still act as their translator for most people.) they're twins and who know if that has anything to do with it. but mainly i think it' s the fact that i feel like i've in someway failed as their mother. what did i do wrong, etc....
the other day i was talking to my mother-in-law, april, on the phone. i mentioned something about calling for the boys to be evaluated. as we were talking one thing she said hit me. she said that when/if you think something is wrong with your children, you love them enough to get the help they need. that you don't waste time, you run and get them help they need. (she said it way better then that.) it was just what i need to hear at the time. that it is up to me to give my kids all the help they need, even if it is not from me. and that's okay.
so i called to have the boys seen. they were all full till august. then i got a phone call yesterday saying they had an opening this morning at 9 AM. (wow! 9 AM was kind of early to be ready to be somewhere!) anyway...i was very impressed with how the ladies did everything. they just knew what they were doing. i only felt bad when one of the forms said disabled!, but what they will be doing is speech therapy. that sounds better. they don't start till september. they'll go once a week. it's like a preschool. so in the end i am glad i went and that the boys will be getting the help they need. because these people know what they are doing and how to help william and jonathon. that is all that matters right? i can swallow my hurt pride...

6 comments:

Lana Knapp said...

You are doing the right thing by getting them help now while they are young. I have had a couple of nephews who have had to do speech therapy and it makes a difference. Your a great mom!

Mary Anne said...

oh ashley! this will be great for them. definitely doesn't make you less of a mother...like you said...it pretty much makes you the best mother! It will be fun to seem them progress (although they really are doing so good)!

Brockett's said...

I know exactly what you are saying.....Tyler (my youngest) just started speech in May. I kept thinking he would grow out of it. Then it hit me that he was old enough to go to school in the fall and the other kids might not totally understand him!! I'm not sending him to school until the next year so he will have a year and hopefully that is all that he will need-my only regret is waiting so long!! You are totally an awesome mother and koo-do's to you for taking the boys in!!

Anonymous said...

Ashley...It is totally bizarre that you should have this problem. I am going through the EXACT same thing with Preston. He's 2 1/2 now. I'm in nursery with him at church and the other kids his age and younger are saying understandable words and short sentences. Preston isn't at all. He speaks, but only I know what he is saying most of the time. I called the University of Oregon a couple months ago to see if I could get him on their waiting list for the fall with their speech therapist people. I sure hope I can get him in. You are so lucky you have a spot! I, too, feel like the biggest looser as a mom. Heck, I had a 3.92 gpa in high school! My kids should be just like me. However, I needed to get over myself and realize things just don't work like that! I love you and I think you are an awesome mom with VERY cute little guys!...Summer

jEn paiGe said...

Ashley, I am glad that you took them, and just so that you know I think that you are a great mom!! See ya.

The Baby Catcher said...

Having a speech impediment doesn't make them or you any less perfect! Kayla went to a speech therapist for 5 years! And if you ask her, they come any more perfect than her. °Ü°